Blood deficiency is a Chinese Fertility Medicine term used to describe an imbalance in the quality of the blood.
The blood is responsible for circulating nutrients throughout the body to all of your cells, including egg and sperm cells.
When it is deficient the blood can’t properly nourish the body and certain aspects of health get out of balance.
This can impact egg and sperm health as the deficient blood is unable to transport necessary nutrients to the eggs and sperm – causing a depletion in their quality, quantity, and activity.
If the Blood deficiency reaches a deeper level of imbalance you will see physiological changes in the blood, such as reduced iron, hemoglobin, ferritin, B-vitamins and other nutrients. You may also see changes in the volume and quantity of the blood cells and it’s clotting ability or nature.
In many cases of blood deficiency there may be no physiological changes and so we look for specific symptoms in your general health.
The causes of Blood Deficiency are typically:
- A lack of production of blood cells in the bone marrow – due to reduced levels of Qi. This can be due to loss of energy through lifestyle, wrong dietary choices for your body’s needs, or inherited genetic issues
- A severe or extended blood loss from physical trauma, heavy menstruation, miscarriage or birth
Typical symptoms of Blood Deficiency in men and women are:
- Poor circulation (hands, feet, head, and reproductive system)
- Low blood pressure
- Dry skin and hair when not moisturised
- One or more of the ‘four pales’ (pale: lips, nails, inner lower eyelid, and tongue)
- Brittle and/or ridged nails
- Feeling cold
- Feeling tired
- Diagnosed circulatory issues that create damaged blood vessels (varicosed), or masses in the lower half of the body
Blood Deficiency symptoms unique to women are:
- Thin endometrium
- Poor egg quality
- Ovulatory issues
- Light menstrual flow
- Fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, adenomyosis, polyps, clotting issues and bleeding disorders frequently have a component of blood deficiency at their root too
Blood Deficiency symtoms unique to men are:
The general symptoms listed above along with some sperm quality issues – poor morphology, motility and count.
Blood Deficiency can be involved alongside any of these patterns when the man also shows any Blood Deficiency symptoms.
Long term effects of Blood Deficiency:
If you experience Blood Deficiency over an extended time it could lead to one or more of the following other patterns of imbalance:
NOTE: A Blood Stagnation pattern is a common complication of many fertility health issues.
In men Blood Stagnation creates a variety of sperm health, inflammatory, and circulatory issues.
In women it creates circulatory or inflammatory diseases such as:
- Fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, adenomyosis, polyps, clotting issues, and bleeding disorders
Some common foods for treating Blood Deficiency are:
NEED MORE HELP?
GRAB YOUR FREE E-COPY OF MY #1 BOOK (3rd Edition)
THE ULTIMATE FERTILITY GUIDE
Claim your free guide to discover the 3 steps that could dramatically speed up your journey to having your baby!
The Natural Fertility Expert